Here are some links with more information on railway heritage in Nova Scotia.
Railway History – Regional
Railways of Canada Archives – a large collection of articles, historical information and photographs edited by Rob Chant. Currently being redesigned. Sections include:
- ARTICLES – numerous stories and historical information about railways including many in Nova Scotia
- SECTIONS – includes and Industry file, Motive Power Archives, Prototype Data, Railway Histories, Station files, and track diagrams and profile maps
- DEPARTMENTS – includes newsletters and other information resources
Little – Known Portions of Nova Scotia History – with special attention given to Communications and Transportation. This is a very comprehensive data base of historical information. Some specific sites of railroad interest are:
- History of Railway Companies in Nova Scotia – This is a history of all railway companies in Nova Scotia. How many have there been? Twenty? Forty? Sixty? Here’s a list, from the Amherst Street Railway, to the Great American & European Short Line Railway, to the Yarmouth & Digby Electric Railway
- Chapter 10 – 1 January 1860 to31 December 1869 (archive reprints of such things as newspaper clippings on railway events, advertisments, schedules, etc.)
- Chapter 12 – 1 January 1880 to 31 December 1889 (archive reprints of such things as newspaper clippings on railway events, advertisments, schedules, etc.)
- Reference Links – to many other Nova Scotian sites.
Railroad Station Historical Society Inc – a comprehensive list of preserved railway structures in North America by province and state.
Rails to Trails – listings of former railway lines converted to hiking and biking trails
Joggins Railway – excellent history and photos of the Maritime Railway from 1890 to 1961 compiled by Dara Legere
The Canada Atlantic Railway Research Site – articles and photos on the History, Locomotives, Freight Cars, Passenger Cars, and Stations of the Canada Atlantic Railway Company which operated mainly in Ontario and Quebec and eventually became part of the Grand Trunk Railroad
Railway History – Local
- Samson – many photographs of, and stories about, Canada’s oldest steam locomotive. Railway history researchers are not unanimous about the events surrounding the Albion Railway and readers are encouraged to consult primary sources for historical information wherever possible.
- Liverpool – a brief history and photos of the CN Station and Railway companys that ran through Liverpool – headed by Halifax and South Western Railway Company
- Tidnish Dock – an Adobe file of the history of the Chignecto Marine Railway
Railway Buildings and Equipment
- Antigonish – town site gives brief history of station and additional photos of station
- Kentville & Kings County area – A L Hardy collection of photographs taken between 1890 & 1920 from Kings County museum including some of railway structures and trains
- Kingston – The section on Kingston Historcal Society has brief histories of transportation and of the railway
- Wolfville – town site offers a brief note on the opening of the railway station
- Upper Tantallon – history and photos of station and caboose
- VIA Rail Canada – listing of Atlantic Canadian Railway Stations
- Waldren Photographic Studios photos from 1930s – many train photographs – look at boxes 297, 298, 300, 311, 312, 313, 329, 330, 334, 335, 344, 350, 351, 352 and 353
- Canadian National Steam Locomotive Photographs – a large collection of both colour and black and white photographs.
- Canadian Pacific Steam Locomotive Photographs – a large collection of both colour and black and white photographs.
- Pier 21 – site offers photos of immigrants boarding trains
- VIA Rail Canada – photo album of Via’s Atlantic trains
- Trenton Works fonds list – Excel spreadsheet of Trenton Works photos at the Dalhousie University Archives
Other Interesting Sites
- Canada by Rail – listing of tourist rail and rail-related sites in Canada
- TrainsCan – on-line information resource for the Canadian railway community
- Raillinks.com – directory of worldwide railroad web sites
- Railserve.com – Over 10,000 rail-related links, use the search engine to find information on rail-related tourist and heritage sites across North America and more!
- Trainweb.com – major source of information and photographs of trains worldwide and web host to many other groups. Complete with search engine
- Old time trains – site for many Canadian railway stories, photographs including sections on industrial locomotives and a wide variety of Canadian railway topics.
- Canadian Railroad Historical Association – parent organization of 14 divisions across Canada, operator of museum in Delson PQ and host to the CRHA Archives/Library
- CN Lines SIG – contains photos and extensive information on Canadian National and its subsidiaries
- Canadian Pacific Historical Association – contains information about the Canadian Pacific Railway
- Traingeek.CA – rosters, photos and information about the current railways of New Brunswick including links to the Salem & Hillsborough Railroad
- Railway Preservation News – online magazine of railway history and preservation. Includes a variety of articles and links to more information.
Publishers of books on Canadian Railway History
- Trackside Canada – publisher of Canadian Railway books